Concacaf Nations League: USA vs. Mexico – Lineup, Schedule & TV Channels
Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI vs. Mexico: 1-Matt Turner, 2-Sergiño Dest, 4-Chris Richards, 5-Antonee Robinson, 6-Yunus Musah, 7-Gio Reyna, 8-Weston McKennie, 10-Christian Pulisic (capt.), 12-Miles Robinson, 20-Folarin Balogun, 21-Tim Weah
Substitutes: 13-Drake Callender, 18-Sean Johnson, 3-Walker Zimmerman, 9-Ricardo Pepi, 11-Brenden Aaronson, 14-Luca de la Torre, 15-Johnny Cardoso, 16-Alan Soñora, 17-Alex Zendejas, 19-Joe Scally, 22-Taylor Booth, 23-Auston Trusty
- USMNT Starting XI Cap Numbers (including this match): Christian Pulisic (59), Weston McKennie (44), Antonee Robinson (35), Tim Weah (30), Matt Turner (27), Sergiño Dest (26), Yunus Musah (26), Miles Robinson (22), Gio Reyna (19), Chris Richards (9), Folarin Balogun (1)
- USMNT Starting XI Concacaf Nations League Cap Numbers (including this match): Weston McKennie (11), Christian Pulisic (8), Sergiño Dest (5), Gio Reyna (5), Antonee Robinson (5), Yunus Musah (4), Matt Turner (4), Tim Weah (3), Miles Robinson (2), Folarin Balogun (1), Chris Richards (1)
- USMNT Starting XI Caps vs. Mexico (including this match); Christian Pulisic (8), Weston McKennie (6), Miles Robinson (5), Tim Weah (5), Sergiño Dest (4), Antonee Robinson (4), Yunus Musah (3), Gio Reyna (3), Chris Richards (2), Matt Turner (2), Folarin Balogun (1)
- Tonight’s USMNT Starting XI has an average age of 23 years, 327 days and averages 26 caps overall and 17 appearances in official competition.
- Nearly a month to the day of having his change of association request granted by FIFA, striker Folarin Balogun will make his senior international debut for the USMNT in tonight’s semifinal.-
- Balogun is the second USMNT player during the modern era to make his debut in official competition against Mexico, joining defender Henry Kessler who was a late-game sub during the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup final, also at Allegiant Stadium. He is also the first USMNT player to start his international debut in official competition against Mexico since Juli Veee debuted in a World Cup qualifying match against El Trí on October 15, 1976.
- Chris Richards makes his first USMNT appearance since January 30, 2022, at Canada.
- Balogun and Richards will make their first appearances in a knockout round match for the USMNT.
- Weston McKennie extends his streak of appearing in all 11 of the USA’s Concacaf Nations League matches dating back to the beginning of the competition in 2019. McKennie is also the USA’s all-time scoring leader in the competition with six goals, to go along with three assists.
- Five of tonight’s starters appeared in the 2021 Concacaf Nations League Final against Mexico. Sergiño Dest, Weston McKennie, Christian Pulisic and Gio Reyna started the match, with Tim Weah coming off the bench in the 69th minute.
- Christian Pulisic captains the USA for the 15th time tonight. The 24-year-old is the 13th player to wear the armband at least 15 times for the USMNT.
- With his next goal, Christian Pulisic (23 goals in 58 caps) will tie Joe-Max Moore (24 goals in 100 caps) for sixth on the USMNT’s all-time goal scoring list. With 19 of his 23 international goals coming in official competition, should Christian Pulisic score in either of the CNL Finals matches he would become the fifth USMNT player to record 20 goals in competitive matches. He’s currently behind Clint Dempsey (41), Landon Donovan (38), Jozy Altidore (24) and Brian McBride (23).
- Matt Turner and Miles Robinson were both part of the U.S. squad that defeated Mexico 1-0 in extra time to claim the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Final at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas. Robinson’s 117th minute winner stands as the latest goal in USMNT history, while Turner made five saves to keep the clean sheet.
- Robinson is one of four starters who have scored against Mexico. Gio Reyna, Weston McKennie and Christian Pulisic provided the goals in the 2021 CNL Final win, before McKennie and Pulisic found the back of the net for a second time against El Trí in the 2-0 World Cup qualifying win on Nov. 12, 2021 in Cincinnati.
- The winner of tonight’s match will face the winner of the first semifinal between Canada Panama in Sunday’s 2023 Concacaf Nations League Final. The loser will face the losing team from tonight’s other semifinal in the Third Place match just prior to Sunday’s final.
- In the case of a tie at the end of regular time, two 15-minutes halves of extra time will be played. Should the game still be tied, the match will be decided by penalty kicks.
- Five substitutions are allowed in three different moments. Halftime does not count as a substitution moment. Should the game go to extra time, each team will be allowed an additional substitution.
- Video assistant referee (VAR) will be used for all four matches at the Concacaf Nations League Finals.
- The USA trails Mexico in the all-time series with a 22-36-17 record against El Trí, but holds a 17-9-8 advantage since 2000.
- This will be only the second semifinal meeting between the United States and Mexico in Concacaf competitions, after a 2-0 USMNT win in the semifinal of the 1991 Gold Cup. The previous nine matches between the USMNT and Mexico in Concacaf tournaments have all been finals.
- This will be the 14th meeting in a knockout match in all competitions for the United States and Mexico, with Mexico advancing seven times and the United States six. Three of the last four knockout meetings between the two teams have gone to extra time.
- Ivan Barton of El Salvador is the referee for tonight’s match. The USMNT is 4-0-1 in matches officiated by Barton, which includes the 2-0 defeat of Mexico in World Cup qualifying on Nov. 12, 2021 in Cincinnati.