Nigerian Senate Passes N2.17 Trillion Supplementary Budget for 2023
The Nigerian Senate has passed the N2.17 trillion 2023 Supplementary Appropriation Bill, recently sent to it by President Bola Tinubu.
The passage followed the adoption of the report of the harmonized sittings of both chambers on the bill as submitted by the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Appropriations, Senator Solomon Olamilekan Adeola (APC Ogun West).
Read Also: Senate President Akpabio and Others Allegedly Inflate President Tinubu’s Palliative Budget by Over N200 Billion (Exclusive)(Opens in a new browser tab)
The supplementary budget includes the following key components:
- N210 billion for wage awards for civil servants
- N605 billion for national security and defense
- N300 billion for maintenance of bridges, especially the Eko bridge
- N400 billion for cash transfer to vulnerable households
- N200 billion for seed and agricultural inputs and equipment
- N18 billion for the Independent National Electoral Commission to conduct off-season elections
The passage of the supplementary budget is expected to boost the Nigerian economy and provide much-needed funding for critical government programs.